Debt Recovery

We can assist in the recovery of debts. Initially we would write to the debtor (whether it be a company or individual) and after allowing a period for payment, then advise on the issue of proceedings and the costs.

Securing a County Court Judgment (CCJ) is often 25% of the battle! Actually securing payment accounts for the remaining 75% and we have the experience and knowledge to guide you through the enforcement options.

These are many and not all are appropriate for the judgment outstanding. We can explain which is your best option and how long it should take to achieve success if indeed the debt is recoverable.

In cases where we are instructed to collect several debts for one client, we may be able to offer fixed fees based on the value of the debt with a very nominal fee in the unlikely event of non-recovery.

Our Dispute Resolution Team can assist you in claiming payment through the County Court but if you already have a Judgment we can assist.

We can guide you through the various enforcement routes including making the debtor bankrupt, Charging Order, Attachment of Earnings or others.

We may be able to offer you a fixed fee service so you know how much these routes can cost you.

Our Debt Team is supervised by Ben Barber who has over 20 years experience and qualified as a Solicitor in 2003. The team has two Solicitors  and a Chartered Legal Executive with over 20 years individual experience.

These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed.

If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g if a one-off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.

If enforcement action is needed on any judgment successfully secured, we will give you an indication of our further fixed fees and court fees because these will depend on the enforcement action you opt for following our advice.

We will not accept instructions for a debt below £1,000.00 simply because, in our view, it is not commercially viable for us or our clients.

The following table gives details of court fees and our fixed cost. These are for all work up to and including securing a judgment in default of a defence.

Debt value Court fee (this is recoverable as part of the claim) Our fee (incl.VAT) Total
£1,000 to £1,500 £80.00 £180.00 £260.00
£1,500 to £3,000 £115.00 £270.00 £385.00
£3,000 to £5,000 £205.00 £500.00 £705.00
£5,000 to £10,000 £455.00 £1350.00 £1,805.00
£10,000.01 to £200,000 5% of the total value of the claim inclusive of any interest you may wish to claim. 5% of the value of the claim against which vat may be re-claimable.



Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:

  • The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
  • Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
  • The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.

Our fee includes:

  • Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
  • Undertaking appropriate searches
  • Sending a letter before action
  • Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
  • Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
  • When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
  • If payment is not received within the time you instruct us to give the debtor, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs

Matters usually take between 1 to 8 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.

Please note that anti-money laundering electronic verification checks maybe undertaken at a cost to you of between £12 – £14.40 (inclusive of VAT) dependent on the level of checks required, per name of each client.


    We offer a fixed fee initial interview of £275 including VAT and an identification check, which we are required to carry out under Money Laundering Regulations, for you to discuss your options.

    Quick Contact


    • 01472 240 251


    • 01507 600 610


    • 01724 847 888


    • 01652 632 215


    • 01482 212077

    Our People

    Ben Barber

    Ben Barber

    Solicitor / Partner

    Email Me

    Denise Bell

    Denise Bell


    Email Me

    Other Practice Areas